Thursday, May 22, 2008

A general Hello and the water's fine, thanks...

Hi!
If you're reading this blog, then I can only assume that you are, like me, at least interested in the Roman Catholic Church and found this using Google. Thank you, God, for Google. If you're not, then you must be here for the chocolove. Sorry, not going there at the moment...wait a day or two, would ya?

The long and the short of it is that I'm exactly what the "About Me" says I am; mother of two, wife of one, and kind of stuck on the path between Protestantism and Catholicism for several reasons, not the least of which is my mother will KILL me if I convert. My husband used to be DEAD SET against it, but is softening.

Mom was brought up CoC (Church of Christ) and sweet Lord have mercy, she's pretty virulently anti-conversion. Not anti-Catholic per se, as she's had Catholic friends in the past, but she's concerned about several different issues, not the least of which is the BVM.

Speaking of whom, I had an interesting insight/imagery today while praying my rosary, which I really should and am going to start doing more often.

Today is the Luminous Mysteries, according to my knowledge; (if I'm wrong, someone needs to correct me, please) and I was in the midst of meditating on the Wedding at Cana when I got this great image of the whole thing in my head. It was pretty awesome.

Yeshua comes to his mother with outstretched arms, hugging her tightly. She's so glad to see him; he's been gone now for at least a month or two (40 days in the desert) and while he's thin, he's her boy, and she loves him and is overjoyed that he remembered the wedding. He and his new friends are welcomed by the families of the bride and groom, and they all enjoy the ceremony reverently. This is a great covenant being made before YHWH, the Lord, and a serious time.

The feast afterwards, however, is not. Everyone is laughing and talking about things the groom or the bride have done in the past, enjoying themselves, reminiscing, when the lord of the feast comes to Mary.

"I don't know how this happened, but we're running out of wine," he says nervously. Why would he have come to her to tell her? Was she related to him somehow? Was she the neighbor woman who fixed everything? (You know the type.) She looked at him, wondering what she could do. It was too late to go buy more. She couldn't think of a wedding she'd been to that had run out of wine. That was the prime staple!

She went back to her seat, next to her Son, who is talking energetically with his friend Simon. She tugs on his sleeve. He holds his hand up to Simon, who is expounding on some point ~ Hang on a second, k? ~
"Yes, Mother?"
"They're out of wine." Did she mean to actively ask for his help at that point? I don't know. Maybe she was just telling him. At no point in the Scripture does she actually ask him to do anything about it. Read it for yourself, it's in the second chapter of John. I just double checked that.

WARNING: What follows is partially conjecture on the writer's part, loosely based on Scripture.

Now he says "What does that have to do with Me? My time is not yet come." What exactly does that mean, here? I personally can't see Jesus being all "Talk to the hand, yo," about a friend's wedding feast. I think He was actually kind of asking His Mother, "Well, Mama, what do you want Me to do about it?" Maybe even "What can I do about that?"

Yeshua was a very loving person. He would not have wanted shame or dishonor to fall on anyone, especially over such a silly problem, and especially not on a friend or relative. Notice that He never tells her what He's going to do, or even if He's going to do anything. She just knows, the way a mother does, she knows her Son's heart. She knows He's going to do something about it. THAT is when she goes to the servants and tells them to do whatever He says for them to.

I guess it meant, to me anyway, for me to remember that being His Mother means that she knows Her Son's heart; she knows His ways, better than any other mortal in the universe possibly could. She was trying to show me, also, that He cares about even my piddly crap. His first miracle was performed to save someone from being made fun of, basically. That's pretty piddly when you compare it to raising Lazarus, or healing the woman with the withered hand, or even paying His Temple tax. He did it to keep someone from looking like a fool, and to make His mama happy.

I just thought that was kind of interesting; I wish you could have seen it the way it was in my head. It was very vivid.

That's about it for now; hope to see you again tomorrow!
SMB

3 comments:

Adoro said...

Greetings and welcome to the world of blogging. I'll keep you in my prayers, but keep in mind, if God is calling you to something, read the gospels...His call carries a great weight and must be discerned carefully. But ultimately, He must be obeyed, but He will also give you the grace to follow Him.

About your post on the Wedding at Cana...you have some great insights, however, it goes far deeper than that. A while ago I attended a Bible Conference in which a Professor (PhD) gave a wonderful exegesis on this, and I did some digging myself to expand on it when I had to give a talk to RCIA. The following is the post I wrote after my own talk, and I hope it will be of assistance to you with regard to the Catholic understanding of that passage:

http://adorotedevote.blogspot.com/2007/01/do-whatever-he-tells-you.html

SMB said...

Adoro,
Wow. I just read your blog re: The Wedding at Cana, and what you wrote puts my little meditation to shame.

Thank you for the prayers; they are greatly appreciated.

Adoro said...

I don't mean to put anything you wrote to shame! LOL! Most of my post came from a theologian's talk at a conference...and she blew me away! (And I must admit, that conference was a huge turning point for me in my own faith.)

God bless you!